We might earn earnings from hyperlinks on this publish. Please learn this Disclosure for particulars.
Benefit from the crisp, citrusy flavour of contemporary grapefruit juice and mezcal on this Mezcal Paloma. This grapefruit cocktail is frivolously candy and refreshing, making it a pleasant drink to sip this summer season. There’s no syrup to make so it’s prepared in 5 minutes!
Like my Spanish Gin and Tonic recipe this Mezcal Paloma Cocktail is one you can anticipate to get pleasure from at any of the eating places in Puerto Escondido or Huatulco within the state of Oaxaca, Mexico.
It options the area’s locally-produced agave spirit and pairs completely with all kinds of the scrumptious conventional meals from Oaxaca.
For those who’re in Mexico you’d almost definitely see a mezcal cocktail served in a glass rimmed in sal de gusano (chile worm salt). Nevertheless it’s simply as scrumptious when made with sea salt (just like a margarita ) as on this recipe.
For those who’re up for a style journey, I’ve included some native variations that includes chile, salt and floor worms in addition to ants.
Why You Will Love This Recipe
- Straightforward grapefruit cocktail made with out syrup. No have to boil and funky a easy syrup. This cocktail is prepared in 5 minutes.
- Genuine Mexican mezcal cocktail utilizing soda pop as a substitute of syrup.
- Good for a crowd! Really easy to make an enormous batch in a pitcher.
- Citrus style that’s refreshing and never too candy.
- Good to serve for Cinco de Mayo and summer season patio events or cookouts. Pairs effectively with all of your Latin American favorite recipes.
- Healthful components. Made with none cocktail mixes or prepackaged components.
Components in Mezcal Grapefruit Cocktail
All you want are a handful of easy components to make a grapefruit mezcal cocktail. Right here’s what goes in it:
- Recent fruit: Use contemporary lemons and pink grapefruit for the most effective citrus flavour.
- Salt: Use fine-grain kosher salt, sea salt or margarita salt to salt the rim of the glass.
- Mezcal: This Mexican spirit made from agave provides a novel flavour to this paloma cocktail. Use a top quality mezcal akin to espadín or a younger (joven) mezcal.
- Grapefruit juice: Use freshly-squeezed or a top quality store-bought grapefruit juice model, ideally one which’s 100% juice. Low-cost juices will be increased in acidity and should comprise chemical preservatives and components, further sugar and sodium.
- Soda pop: You need to use ginger ale or Squirt, the favored Mexican delicate drink. This not solely offers the mezcal cocktail some bubbles but in addition frivolously sweetens the drink.
There are just a few tasty methods to vary up your Mezcal paloma. Listed here are a few of my favourites:
- For those who desire a smoky mezcal cocktail swap the joven mezcal for an anejo (aged) mezcal as a substitute.
- For a spicy mezcal cocktail, use salt blended with tajin, the Mexican lime chile salt. You possibly can even purchase it premixed with salt in a particular container to rim glasses.
- Need to get pleasure from an genuine Oaxacan mezcal cocktail? Use the purple, spicy sal de gusano (Oaxacan worm salt) on the rim of the glass as a substitute of salt. It’s made with Oaxacan sea salt, toasted and floor agave worms, and purple chile costeno.
- For a very dramatic cocktail, use sal de hormiga chicatana on the rim of the glass. This salt is made with ground-up ants. They’re a treasured delicacy within the spring in Oaxaca and Guatemala when the large ants emerge from their nests. Sal de hormiga chicatana has a jet black color (because of the shiny ant shells) which makes for a formidable presentation.
- Have you learnt the spirit, raicilla? It’s the agave spirit from the state of Jalisco. You can also make this right into a raicilla cocktail. Substitute the mezcal with raicilla however scale back the amount to 1.5 ounces as raicilla is way more potent than mezcal or tequila. A few of this “Mexican moonshine” will be over 100 proof.
The right way to Make Palomas with Mezcal
Making this mezcal drink with grapefruit is straightforward. Right here’s a breakdown of all of the steps.
- Pour the kosher salt right into a small dish. Use a lemon wedge with a slit reduce in it to dampen the rim of the glass. Flip it over and dip it into the kosher salt.
- Add the ice and mezcal to a shaker glass.
- Add the grapefruit juice.
- And lastly, the ginger ale.
- Squeeze the opposite lemon wedge into the combination after which drop it into the shaker glass. Shake the combination to mix.
- Pour it into the salted glass and garnish with further lemon wedges and grapefruit slices. Take pleasure in!
The right way to Serve a Mezcal Paloma
This simple grapefruit cocktail is ideal for serving year-round however it’s good and refreshing making it a superb possibility within the sizzling summer season months! Right here is a few inspiration for serving it.
- These simple Mezcal palomas will be made instantly within the glass. As an alternative of shaking, simply stir earlier than having fun with.
- Be happy to customise the quantity of any components as wanted. You possibly can add extra lemon juice if desired or attempt one of many enjoyable variations talked about above.
- The quantity of components might fluctuate in accordance with the scale of the glass used for serving.
- You possibly can combine up palomas in a pitcher if you happen to’re serving a crowd. I like to recommend serving the ice on the aspect so the drink doesn’t get watered down.
The paloma is a tequila-based drink made with lime, tequila, and grapefruit soda. On this recipe, we’re swapping the normal tequila for mezcal. This provides a extra nuanced flavour to the straightforward cocktail.
Mezcal is a transparent liquor that originated in Oaxaca, Mexico. It’s considerably associated to tequila with some small variations. Tequila is made utilizing ONLY blue agave that’s grown in a single explicit space of Mexico. Then again, mezcal will be produced from a wide range of kinds of agave which are grown wherever in Mexico. Its flavour is commonly extra peppery and smoky than tequila.
Extra Enjoyable Cocktails
Love this recipe? Please depart a 5-star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟score within the recipe card beneath & a remark additional down if you happen to REALLY prefer it. Thanks!
Straightforward Mezcal Paloma (Mezcal Grapefruit Cocktail)
Benefit from the crisp, tart flavour of contemporary grapefruit juice and mezcal on this Mezcal Paloma. This grapefruit cocktail is frivolously candy and refreshing, making it a pleasant drink to sip this summer season.
Servings: 2 servings
Stop your display screen from going darkish
Make a slit in a lemon wedge and place it on the glass and barely squeeze across the rim of the glass then flip and dip into kosher salt on a small dish.
In a shaker add the ice, mezcal, grapefruit juice, and ginger ale.
Squeeze the opposite lemon wedge into the combination after which drop it in. Shake to mix and pour into glass.
Garnish with further lemon wedges or grapefruit and luxuriate in.
Be happy to customise the quantity of any components as wanted. You possibly can add extra lemon juice if desired or attempt one of many enjoyable variations talked about above.
The quantity of components might fluctuate in accordance with the scale of the glass used for serving.
You possibly can combine up palomas in a pitcher if you happen to’re serving a crowd. I like to recommend serving the ice on the aspect so the drink doesn’t get watered down.
Energy: 152kcal | Carbohydrates: 22g | Protein: 1g | Fats: 0.3g | Saturated Fats: 0.03g | Polyunsaturated Fats: 0.1g | Monounsaturated Fats: 0.03g | Sodium: 4mg | Potassium: 245mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 16g | Vitamin A: 1478IU | Vitamin C: 57mg | Calcium: 36mg | Iron: 0.4mg
Save to Pinterest!
Dividing her time between Canada, Guatemala and Mexico (or the closest tropical seaside), Michele Peterson is the founding father of A Style for Journey. Her award-winning journey and meals writing has appeared in Lonely Planet’s cookbook Mexico: From the Supply, Nationwide Geographic Traveler, Fodor’s and 100+ different publications.
Learn extra about Michele Peterson.